Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cockburn Town in Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands, British Overseas Territories — North Atlantic Ocean
 

Timco

(Turks Islands Importers Ltd.)

 
 
Timco Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2011
1. Timco Marker
Lloyds Agency,(perhaps old listing), found in every major port and commercial centre in the world. Their primary purpose is to provide a range of surveying and adjusting services to the global insurance market and its customers.
Inscription.  Built in the 1860s, this building started life as a salt warehouse belonging to the Stubbs family who were the foremost plantation owners in the Caicos Islands and one of the foremost salt families of South Caicos and Grand Turk. On Grand Turk they rivaled the Frith brothers, and it is reputed that Mr. Stubbs built the warehouse after being goaded by the Friths that they owned Front Street. He, out of spite then decided to locate his salt warehouse directly in-between the Frith's two iron buildings at either end of Front Street so that they would have to cross Stubbs's property on the daily trip between their establishments.

The building later became the home of the Turks Island Importers Ltd. This company was formerly the 'Competent Authority' that was set up circa 1940 to control the importation and distribution of food in the colony during World War II. It was a government statuary body and was renamed after it was sold in 1952. It is the oldest food importing company on the Island but no longer the largest. The company is now owned by 'La Scelles de Marco' of Jamaica and has been managed by the Magnus brothers since 1975. (Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Number 17.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1940.
 
Location. 21° 28.209′ N, 71° 8.828′ W. Marker is in Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos Islands, in Grand Turk. Marker is on Front Street just north of Darrell's Alley, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos Islands 00109-9000, British Overseas Territories. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Todds (a few steps from this marker); Grant Building (a few steps from this marker); Crofton Coverley House (a few steps from this marker); Free Mason's Lodge (within shouting distance of this marker); Sunnyside (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The History of the West (about 120 meters away); Victoria Public Library (about 180 meters away); St. Mary’s Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cockburn Town.
 
Timco Marker, at right image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 11, 2011
2. Timco Marker, at right
Timco Marker, along Front Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 11, 2011
3. Timco Marker, along Front Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,009 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 15, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40293

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024