Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nevada City in Nevada County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Trinity Episcopal Church

 
 
Trinity Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
1. Trinity Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  Trinity Episcopal Church, founded as a parish in 1855, opened for divine service in this building on November 2, 1873. Previously on this site was “Caldwell’s Upper Store”, built in 1849 for the miners of Upper Deer Creek Dry Diggings, now known as Nevada City and Washington School, 1863, the community's first high school.

The present building was erected by shipwrights working in the mines. Their craftsmanship may be seen in its construction.
 
Erected 1973 by Hydraulic Parlor No. 56 N.S.G.W. & Grand Parlor N.S.G.W. (Marker Number Nev. 0018.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1940.
 
Location. 39° 15.797′ N, 121° 0.947′ W. Marker is in Nevada City, California, in Nevada County. Marker is at the intersection of Nevada Street and Grove Street and High Street, on the right when traveling south on Nevada Street. This is a three way intersection.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 High Street, Nevada City CA 95959, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Marsh House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Colley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Original Ott Assay Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Wells Fargo Building (about 300 feet away); South Yuba Canal Office (about 300 feet away); Five Stamp Mill (about 300 feet away); Pelton Water Wheel (about 400 feet away); Robinson Plaza (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nevada City.
 
Regarding Trinity Episcopal Church. Following the founding of this parish an Episcopal Church was founded in nearby Grass Valley which became today's Emmanuel Church. During the early period of Trinity Parish's history, the two parishes shared a Rector.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Grass Valley.
 
Trinity Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
2. Trinity Episcopal Church Marker
Plaque Mounted at the Entrance of the Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
3. Plaque Mounted at the Entrance of the Church
First Service held here
April 21, 1854
by
The Right Reverend
William Ingraham Kip, D.D.
First Bishop of California
Trinity Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
4. Trinity Episcopal Church
Marker and church sign are located at the far left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 643 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 15, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40294

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024