Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands — The Caribbean (The West Indies)
Fort Christian, at the grand age of 326 years, is the oldest standing structure in continuous use in the Virgin Islands and the oldest Danish fortication under the American flag. In 1977, Fort Christian was designated a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of Interior's National Park Service.
The first group of Danish Colonizers landed on the island of St. Thomas in 1666, but was unseccessful in establishing a permanent settlement. Work on Fort Christian started shortly after a second Danish group, under the charter of the Danish West India Company, established a settlement on St. Thomas in 1672. Under the leadership of Jorgen Iversen, the colony's governor, Fort Christian was constructed between 1672 and 1680. In 1678 during Demark's European war with France, work on the fort progressed well enough that the settlement was able to fend off an attack of French forces from the neighboring island of St. Croix.
Christiansfort, as it was known then, was the first seat of government in the Danish West Indies. The Fort, in addition to its military role, also housed the colony's
Erected by Virgin Island State Historic Preservation Office, Department of Planning & Natural Resources.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1977.
Location. 18° 20.456′ N, 64° 55.788′ W. Marker is in Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. Marker is on Tolbod Pldn just east of Forte Strade, on the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: St Thomas VI 00801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Thomas Community Bandmaster (within shouting distance of this marker); America's First Lady Addressed the People of St. Thomas (within shouting distance of this marker); Landing of Virginia Settlers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederick Lutheran Church (about 300 feet away); St. Thomas' Liberty Bell Reproduction: (about 300 feet away); The Jacob H. S. Lind House (about 300 feet away); Capitol Building (about 300 feet away); Frederick Lutheran Church Parsonage (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlotte Amalie.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Christian, St. Thomas. Fort Christian was built by the Danes and named after King Christian V.... (Submitted on February 17, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Jørgen Iversen Dyppel (February 25, 1638–1683), also called George Iversen or Ifversen,. ... "I, Jørgen Iversen, His Majesty the King of Denmark and Norway, and the West India Company's Governor of the Island of St. Thomas, find it right and proper to proclaim this ordinance for the honor of God, and the good of the country. ” —Jørgen Iversen Dyppel, Orders of August 8, 1672 .... (Submitted on February 17, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,211 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on February 17, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 11. submitted on February 18, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.