Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Wexford in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Kuskusky Path

 
 
Kuskusky Path Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 18, 2011
1. Kuskusky Path Marker
Inscription.  Hunters, traders, warriors, militia, war captives, and diplomats all used this early Native American path, which passed this location, for most of the 1700s as part of a regional network of trails. It provided a direct route between Fort Duquesne/Fort Pitt, a major trade center, and the Delaware Indian community of Kuskusky, now New Castle. Europeans who began moving into the area built homes and churches adjacent to the path by 1800.
 
Erected 2008 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list.
 
Location. 40° 36.119′ N, 80° 4.826′ W. Marker is near Wexford, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is on Brandt School Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located next to the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2500 Brandt School Road, Wexford PA 15090, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Kuskusky Path Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 18, 2011
2. Kuskusky Path Marker
are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trinity German Evangelical Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Stone Mansion (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Stone Mansion (approx. 1.4 miles away); Jonas Salk (approx. 1.7 miles away); Herb Scott (approx. 1.8 miles away); Borough of Bradford Woods (approx. 2˝ miles away); In Memory of Eric S. Holman, Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army (approx. 3.3 miles away); Mt. Nebo U.P. Church War Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wexford.
 
Also see . . .
1. Franklin Park's Kuskusky Path. Article written by local reporter. (Submitted on February 21, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 

2. Kuskusky Path - Behind the Marker. (Submitted on July 7, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Brandt School Road, Franklin Park, Allegheny County, PA image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, circa 1930
3. Brandt School Road, Franklin Park, Allegheny County, PA
Located east of Route 79, which links Pittsburgh to Erie, Brandt School Road was built over the Kuskusky Path through Franklin Park.Trinity Lutheran Cemetery is on the left side of this section of the road, not far below the old one-room Brandt School, now a private residence at the entrance to the Northmont Farms subdivision. Courtesy of Franklin Park Borough History Collection, Allegheny County, PA
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 993 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 18, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on July 26, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 27, 2020