Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taylors Island in Dorchester County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal Church

Built 1787 - Rebuilt 1857

 
 
Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 4, 2007
1. Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  The original chapel was built on this site which was donated by Moses and Elizabeth LeCompte. The deed, dated September 15, 1787, is the oldest one on record for Methodist Episcopal Church land in Dorchester County. Both Bishop Francis Asbury and Reverend Freeborn Garrettson preached here.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 15, 1787.
 
Location. 38° 28.93′ N, 76° 18.959′ W. Marker is in Taylors Island, Maryland, in Dorchester County. Marker is on Hoopers Neck Road, 1½ miles north of Taylors Island Road (Maryland Route 16), on the left when traveling north. Marker is on opposite side of the road as the church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taylors Island MD 21669, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chapel of Ease (approx. 0.9 miles away); Old Schoolhouse (approx.
Bethlehem Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 4, 2007
2. Bethlehem Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Chapel of Ease (approx. 0.9 miles away); First School House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Trapped (approx. 1½ miles away); The Becky Phipps (approx. 1½ miles away); Battle of the Ice Mound (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylors Island.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,197 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4042

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2022