Gallaudet in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Peikoff Alumni House
— Gallaudet University —
Fondly known by Gallaudet alumni as “Ole Jim,” this building was the first Gallaudet College gymnasium. Designed by Frederick Withers and built in 1881, it was the nation’s second gymnasium with an indoor swimming pool. Designated as one of the National Historical Landmarks on campus, it was restored in 1982 as the Alumni House with funds raised largely by the Gallaudet alumni and their friends.
This plaque donated by the Class of 1940.
Funds for the renovation of this 1881 gymnasium were initially made possible through the efforts of Dr. David Peikoff, Class of 1929, and his wife, Pauline “Polly” Nathanson Peikoff, Class of 1936, both ardent and long time supporters of Gallaudet University and the Gallaudet University Alumni Association. Dr. Peikoff, well-known as an exceptional fund raiser, a dynamic speaker, and an outstanding leader, is especially noted for his service as chairman of the Gallaudet College Alumni Association
In celebration of its Centennial in July 1989, the Gallaudet University Alumni association buried a time capsule in the vicinity of “Ole Jim.” Containing historical documents, photos books, and GUAA memorabilia. The capsule will be opened in 2039.
Erected by Gallaudet Alumni.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings • Sports. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks, and the Time Capsules series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1995.
Location. 38° 54.423′ N, 76° 59.714′ W. Marker is in Gallaudet in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is on Lincoln Circle Northeast north of Tapscott Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 Florida Avenue Northeast, Washington DC 20002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Denison House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edward Miner Gallaudet (about 400 feet away); Helen Fay House (about 400 feet away); Site of the Rose Cottage (about 500 feet away); Chapel Hall (about 500 feet away); Ballard House (about 500 feet away); Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet (about 600 feet away); Laurent Clerc (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gallaudet.
Also see . . .
1. Gallaudet University Athletics. (Submitted on February 21, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Dr. David Peikoff. (Submitted on February 22, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Kellogg Conference Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,020 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 21, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.