Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Hacienda Moltacqua

American Quarter Horse Historical Marker

 
 
Hacienda Moltacqua Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, February 21, 2011
1. Hacienda Moltacqua Marker
Inscription.  The first World's Championship Quarter Horse Speed Trials were held just north of this site in 1941 at the newly-constructed Hacienda Moltacqua Racetrack. Bob Locke, owner of the track, was a member of the Southern Arizona Horse Breeders Association. He, along with other SAHBA members J. Rukin Jelks, Jake Meyer, Clancy Wollard and Joe Flieger, hosted the trials in conjunction with the Tucson Horse Show. As a five-year-old, Clabber, owned by A.A. (Ab) Nichols of Gilbert, Arizona, defeated Little Joe Jr and War Chief to become the first horse ever to be named World Champion Quarter Running Horse.

World famous sprinters such as Shue Fly, Joe Reed II and Nobodies Friend ran at Hacienda Moltacqua before Locke sold the property in 1943. This building was Locke's guest home and was used by those attending the races at the track.

American Quarter Horses are competing in races around the world and are in demand for showing, ranch work, rodeo, recreational riding and many other activities. AQHA is the world's largest equine breed registry, with its international headquarters located in Amarillo,
Hacienda Moltacqua Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, February 21, 2011
2. Hacienda Moltacqua Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Texas.
 
Erected 1995 by American Quarter Horse Heritage Center & Museum, Amarillo, Texas. (Marker Number AQHHMP #2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports. In addition, it is included in the American Quarter Horse Markers 🐴 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1941.
 
Location. 32° 15.517′ N, 110° 50.3′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Vactor Ranch Trail and East Vuelta Rancho Mesquite. Marker is in breezeway at Vactor Ranch Club house on southwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tucson AZ 85715, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Airmen Memorial Bridge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Lowell (approx. 2.1 miles away); Cottonwood Lane (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Lowell (approx. 2.1 miles away); Fort Lowell 1873-1891 / Post Hospital (approx. 2.1 miles away); Cavalry Barracks and Band Barracks (approx. 2.1 miles away); Infantry Barracks / Laundresses' Quarters (approx. 2.1 miles away); Post Hospital (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
 
More about this marker. The historical marker was originally at the east entrance to The Tack Room resturant. The marker was moved to it's present location when the Tack Room was razed.
 
Vactor Ranch Club House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, February 21, 2011
3. Vactor Ranch Club House
Hacienda Moltacqua Marker is in the breezeway just to right of the doors.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,215 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40473

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 28, 2021