Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Georgia Railroad Freight Depot
A 1935 fire destroyed the upper floors and cupola. The building served its original purpose for nearly a century. Upon completion of the structure in 1869, the local press said, in part: “The new Georgia Railroad Depot is recognized at a glance as an ornament and benefit to the city and reflects credit on the spirit and live character of the President and Directors of the Georgia Railroad.”
Georgia Railroad Depot
This is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Atlanta. It was completed on April 22, 1869, and served as the main freight depot for the Georgia Railroad. Corput and Bass, architects, Thomas Alexander, contractors, B.H. Broomhead, carpenter, and Hayden and Healy, masons, were responsible for the construction at a cost of $35,000.00.
The end of the building once held offices and was three stories high with a balcony on the second floor and a cupola on the hipped roof. Much of the
The Georgia Railroad, chartered in 1833, was completed in September, 1845 at a cost of $3,369,856.42 from Augusta to a small village first named "Terminus" then "Marthasville". The Georgia Railroad connected with the Western and Atlantic Railroad that linked Marthasville and Chattanooga. The little village became an important rail center and J. Edgar Thompson, Chief Engineer of the Georgia Railroad, shortly thereafter suggested renaming Marthasville "Atlanta."
Erected 1985 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 060-171.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 45.101′ N, 84° 23.325′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Central Ave SW and Alabama Street SW. The Old Georgia Railroad Freight Depot is located on Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, between Courtland Street and Central Avenue. It is under a Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: One Martin Luther King Jr Drive, Atlanta GA 30303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Georgia Railroad Freight Depot (a few steps from this marker); The Burning and Destruction of Atlanta (within shouting distance of this marker); The Eternal Flame Of The Confederacy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Immaculate Conception Church (about 500 feet away); Historic Ground (about 700 feet away); John Brown Gordon (about 700 feet away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (about 700 feet away); Fulton County (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
More about this marker. At the bottom of the sign is a caption for a now missing picture. The picture was a, "view of the building from July 1898," when the building was, "then nearly three decades old."
Also see . . . History of the Georgia Railroad. (Submitted on December 20, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 4,949 times since then and 91 times this year. Last updated on February 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 18, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on November 10, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 18, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.