Near Ellijay in Gilmer County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cartecay Methodist Church
The present building, erected in 1859, remains, in style and arrangement, as originally built. During the War Between the States, the building was guarded at night by groups of men to protect it from Union sympathizers who roamed the country-side.
Among the early preachers were: Rev. Bethel Quillian, Rev. John B. Robeson, Rev. A. J. Hughes, Rev. A. J. Hutchinson, Rev. C. M. Letbetter, Rev. John W. Quillian, Rev. M. L. Underwood, Rev. C. A. Jamison, Dr. John Watkins, Rev. W. O. Butler, Rev. A. D. Echols, Rev. Walter B. Dillard, Rev. R. B. O. England, Rev. G. W. Griner, Rev. W. L. Singleton, Rev. J. N. Myers, Rev. W. C. Hunnicut, Rev. John B. Pettit. As a young man, Bishop Warren Candler preached here.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 061-5.)
Topics and series. Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 20, 1966.
Location. 34° 38.662′ N, 84° 23.4′ W. Marker is near Ellijay, Georgia, in Gilmer County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 52 and Roy Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 52. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellijay GA 30536, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oakland Academy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Fort Hetzel (approx. 5˝ miles away); Gilmer County War Memorial (approx. 6.3 miles away); Gilmer County (approx. 6.4 miles away); David Bailey Freeman - The Youngest Confederate Soldier (approx. 6.4 miles away); Home of Chief Whitepath (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Appalachian Trail (approx. 10 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellijay.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 721 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.