Bryce Canyon National Park in Garfield County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Bryce Canyon Lodge
Union Pacific Railroad served Bryce Canyon well as it grew to national park status. The railroad's vision of the site's potential for tourism culminated in the creation of the "Grand Circle Tour", a tour that traveled to several parks in one trip. One of the stops was Bryce Canyon.
A subsidiary of Union Pacific Railroad, Utah Parks Company purchased the property where the lodge sits. In 1923, they asked architect Gilbert Stanley Underwood to survey the site at Bryce Canyon as well as sites at Cedar Breaks and Zion National Park. In four years time, the Bryce Canyon Lodge and 67 cabins were built. This National Historic Landmark is one of the few Underwood lodges still standing.
With the success of the Grand Circle Tour, Union Pacific Railroad brought a wealth of visitors to Bryce Canyon, helping to pioneer a successful chapter in the National Park Service's history.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bryce UT 84764, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Streetscape (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wheeling through the Years (approx. 0.2 miles away); Post-War Service Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bryce Amphitheater (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stephen Tyng Mather (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tropic Pioneers (approx. 4˝ miles away); Bryce Airport (approx. 4.8 miles away); Loseeville (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bryce Canyon National Park.
Regarding Bryce Canyon Lodge. National Register Nomination ID #87001339.
Also see . . . Bryce Canyon National Park. (Submitted on February 27, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 811 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on February 27, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.