Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Madison Candy Company
John Nader, Architect
— 1903 —
Designated January 02, 2001
Erected 2011 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 142.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 2, 1761.
Location. 43° 4.684′ N, 89° 22.323′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Williamson Street and Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 744 Williamson Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Klose Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); John George Ott House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kircher House (about 300 feet away); Sauthoff House (about 300 feet away); Biederstaedt – Breitenbach Grocery (about 700 feet away); Timothy and Katherine McCarthy House (about 700 feet away); Hyer - Jaquish Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madison Gas & Electric Company Powerhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Madison Candy Company. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This three-story brick commercial block, designed in a vernacular style, was built for the Madison Candy Company, which operated here until 1927. The building features red brick on the facade and Milwaukee cream brick on the sides and rear. The ground level façade was altered around 1950 when Williamson St. was widened. The Madison Candy Co. began operations in 1899 and was one of many small industries that emerged during Madison's small industrial boom which started in the early 1880s."
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,497 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 11, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on July 3, 2021. 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 2, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.