Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glendale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Adobe House

— at Sahuaro Ranch . . . —

 
 
Adobe House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., November 6, 2010
1. Adobe House Marker
Inscription.  
This house, which is the oldest building at Sahuaro Ranch, is believed to have been built in 1887, one year after William Bartlett started the ranch. It was constructed of adobe bricks made here at the ranch, possibly using dirt that was excavated to create the crawl space under the house.

The first part of the house to be built was the adobe-brick section and the covered porch on the west side. The porch on the south side, as well as the wood-frame section on the east side, were added sometime later.

The house originally was the residence of the superintendent who managed the ranch for Bartlett. After the Main House was remodeled in 1895 to serve as the superintendent's residence, this building was used to house ranch employees. In 1927, when Sahuaro Ranch was bought by Richard W. Smith, this house became the ranch office.

On the Ranch Today
The Adobe House was restored and a new concrete foundation poured in 1987. The wood-frame addition that you see now is not original but was rebuilt as part of the restoration project.

[Photo captions follow]

Above is a view of the Adobe
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
House from the late 1880s. Sahuaro Ranch was a popular destination for people who were considering buying land in the area. These people might have been here to do that, and are seen here enjoying some local produce. The building has not yet been plastered, and the adobe bricks are visible. (Photo courtesy of the Glendale, Arizona Historical Society).

Here is the Adobe House in the 1930s, during the time the Smith family owned Sahuaro Ranch. The adobe walls are covered by a layer of protective plaster. (Photo courtesy of the Glendale, Arizona Historical Society).
 
Erected by Glendale Parks & Recreation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
 
Location. 33° 34.51′ N, 112° 11.321′ W. Marker is in Glendale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is about 50 feet southwest of the Guest House, at Sahuaro Ranch Park Historic Area. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9802 North 59th Avenue, Glendale AZ 85302, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sahuaro Ranch Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Main House and Guest House (within shouting distance of this marker); Water & Power (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Sahuaro Ranch
Photo on Adobe House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown, circa 1880s
2. Photo on Adobe House Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Foreman's House (about 400 feet away); Fruit Packing Shed (about 400 feet away); Orchards (about 500 feet away); Irrigation (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glendale.
 
Photo on Adobe House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown, circa 1930s
3. Photo on Adobe House Marker
Adobe House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., November 6, 2010
4. Adobe House and Marker
Adobe House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., November 6, 2010
5. Adobe House
Looking southeast
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 930 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 3, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40639

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024