Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Philipsburg, Sint Maarten, Dutch Caribbean — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
 

The Old Police Station

— Historic Sint Maarten Remembered —

 
 
The Old Police Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2011
1. The Old Police Station Marker
Inscription.  Until it was demolished in 1937, this warehouse building, bearing a remarkable resemblance to a modern-day army barracks, was a home to the Island police force. Police officers stationed on St. Maarten were trained and recruited on the sister island of Curacao. A tidy allowance had to be paid to reluctant officers as an inducement to accept a post on the desolate island of St. Maarten. The old Police Station was a stone's throw from St. Maarten's most popular (still up to present day) and most photographed building: the courthouse which was built in 1793.
The Old Police Station is meticulously reproduced here using modern building techniques and materials, complete with the original and very huge barrack doors. When opened, these doors allowed in the fresh trade winds from the then adjoining Philipsburg pier. The building has served as a public shelter during hurricanes. It also has provided temporary storage space for government when the nearby courthouse was used to house administrative offices.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1937.
 
Location. 18° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
0.85′ N, 63° 2.652′ W. Marker is in Philipsburg, Sint Maarten. Marker is on Cruise Ship Terminal (The Harbor Point Village), 0 kilometers Juancho Yrausquin Blvd, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philipsburg, Sint Maarten 00100, Dutch Caribbean. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frontstreet Merchants (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Maarten Gingerbread Market Stalls (within shouting distance of this marker); Vance Theophilus James (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr Albert Claudius ("Claude") Wathey (within shouting distance of this marker); John Philip Frederick Craane (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Sint Maarten Remembered (within shouting distance of this marker); Sint Rose Hospital (approx. one kilometer away); St. Joseph Convent 1890 (approx. one kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philipsburg.
 
The Old Police Station Marker, close-up image. Click for full size.
The Old Police Station Marker
2. The Old Police Station Marker, close-up
" Until it was demolished in 1937, this warehouse building, bearing a remarkable resemblance to a modern-day army barracks,..."
Marker, at left, seen on reproduced building here using modern techniques and material image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 9, 2011
3. Marker, at left, seen on reproduced building here using modern techniques and material
The Courthouse , as mentioned image. Click for full size.
from Mapsxm.com
4. The Courthouse , as mentioned
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 892 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 4, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40644

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024