Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anderson in Madison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Anderson Street Railway

Chartered August 19, 1887

 
 
The Anderson Street Railway Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, March 6, 2011
1. The Anderson Street Railway Marker
Inscription.  At this site Anderson's original street railway line extended northward to the PanHandle Railroad depot located at Main and Fifth Streets. Two mule-drawn street cars, each seating twenty persons; first operated over the 3-mile route on the evening of September 6, 1888. Animal power continued in use until March 12, 1892, when Anderson became the first city in the Indiana Gas Belt to operate electric cars on the street railway.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is March 12, 1787.
 
Location. 40° 6.081′ N, 85° 40.697′ W. Marker is in Anderson, Indiana, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of East Dillon Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on East Dillon Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 East Dillon Street, Anderson IN 46016, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Remy Electric Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Paramount Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Methodist Church in Anderson Was Built Here (approx. 0.3 miles away); Anderson Carnegie Library
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Public Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); Madison County Veterans' Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Historic West Eighth Street (approx. half a mile away); Madison County Historic Home (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
 
Also see . . .  Anderson Big Four Depot. Railroads of Madison County (Submitted on March 7, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 
 
Railway image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, March 6, 2011
2. Railway
Windows image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, March 6, 2011
3. Windows
The "Big Four" Depot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. Bowyer, March 6, 2011
4. The "Big Four" Depot
This renovated railroad depot is now the Big Four Arts Depot, home to the Anderson Young Ballet Theater.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 6, 2011, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 879 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 6, 2011, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40733

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024