Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
— Nader —
Erected 1974 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 28.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list.
Location. 43° 4.649′ N, 89° 23.482′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from Langdon Street 0.1 miles east of North Henry Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Langdon Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beecroft House (within shouting distance of this marker); Van Slyke House World-famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright called Madison his hometown (about 300 feet away); Frank G. Brown House (about 300 feet away); James Mears House (about 400 feet away); Phi Gamma Delta House (about 400 feet away); Chi Phi Fraternity (about 500 feet away); Wootton - Mead House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Suhr House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This beautiful French Second Empire style house was built for John J. and Louisa Suhr in 1887. John Suhr immigrated to Madison from Germany. He worked for a Madison Bank until 1871 when he established his own 'German-American Bank' to serve the many German immigrants in the Madison area. In 1887 he had a new building at 104 King Street built for his bank (the Suhr Building, also a Madison Landmark), and work was also completed on his family's new house at 121 Langdon Street. Capt. John Nader was a prominent local architect who also designed the City's first sewer system and St. Patrick's Church."
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a link to markers for other buildings designed by John Nader, as well as the marker for the German American Bank.
Also see . . .
1. Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the Suhr House. (Submitted on March 13, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
2. Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the Suhr Building. (Submitted on March 13, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 698 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 13, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 2, 3. submitted on March 8, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on March 13, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 14, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.