Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lincoln in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Manzanita

Since 1850

 
 
Manzanita Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, March 11, 2011
1. Manzanita Marker
Inscription.  
First called Manzanita Grove. Dense brush provided a rustlers’ hideout and corral. Area burial site, 1855, with public support:
"Manzanita Grove Cemetery Association.”

Site of Manzanita School 1857 – 1899. Land for school and cemetery deeded in 1862 to Coon Creek School District by P. Dippel. Sparks family plot marks schoolhouse site.

Manzanita Cemetery joined Lincoln and Sheridan Cemeteries in 1925, forming the “Placer County Cemetery District #1.” Final rest stop for many Placer pioneers.
 
Erected 1998 by Silver Star Parlor #63, Native Sons of the Golden West.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesEducationSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
 
Location. 38° 56.679′ N, 121° 18.249′ W. Marker is near Lincoln, California, in Placer County. Marker can be reached from Manzanita Cemetery Road
Manzanita Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, March 10, 2011
2. Manzanita Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located near the entrance to the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3698 Manzanita Cemetery Road, Lincoln CA 95648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Clay Pipe Plant in the West (approx. 3˝ miles away); Sheridan Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); McTyeire Memorial Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Emmada Building (approx. 3.7 miles away); Fleming Building (approx. 3.7 miles away); Beerman Plaza (approx. 3.7 miles away); New Hoppert Building (approx. 3.7 miles away); I O O F Building (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
 
Regarding Manzanita. Manzanita Grove gained notoriety in its early days as a stronghold for thieves. Hidden in the center of a thick grove of manzanita trees was the corral where stolen horses and cattle were hidden. Today only a few of the manzanitas remain under the native oaks.
 
Also see . . .  Manzanita Cemetery. The dedication of the marker by the Native Sons of the Golden West - May, 1998. (Submitted on March 12, 2011.) 
 
Entrance to the Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, March 11, 2011
3. Entrance to the Cemetery
The marker is located just off photo under the tree on the left.
Sparks Family Plot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, October 8, 2011
4. Sparks Family Plot
Site of the Manzanita School.
Manzanita Cemetery Vandalized in November 2010 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, March 11, 2011
5. Manzanita Cemetery Vandalized in November 2010
Vandals desecrated over 150 grave sites knocking over, damaging and destroying headstones. Many of these were over 100 years old. Click on photo to read notices posted at the entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,268 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 12, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40824

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 25, 2022