Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mechanicville in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Historic Yards

 
 
Historic Yards Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 20, 2011
1. Historic Yards Marker
Inscription.  
Historic Yards
First Linked to Rail in 1835
major yards were built by
Hoosic Tunnel, D&H, Fitchburg
& B&M Lines. By 1912 it was third largest yard in U.S.A

 
Erected by City of Mechanicville.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
 
Location. 42° 54.427′ N, 73° 41.574′ W. Marker is in Mechanicville, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Davenport Estates, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mechanicville NY 12118, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Denier Place (approx. 0.2 miles away); Canal Square (approx. ¼ mile away); Patenaude Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mechanicville Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Immigrant City (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Milltown USA (approx. half a mile away); Col. Ellsworth (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mechanicville.
 
Additional commentary.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online

1. XO Tower
First appearing here in 1835, the iron horse left its mark on Mechanicville. By the mid-1920's, local yards were switching 4000 cars a day, making Mechanicville the third largest reclassification yard in the US. At its peak, the B&M and D&H's combined employment reached 1100 prior to WWII.

Thought the marker does not mention the XO tower by name, it was a very important part of operations in the Mechanicville Yard. The XO Tower was placed in service by the Delaware & Hudson railroad (D&H) in 1922, and was closed by 1985. The city purchased the tower for $1 from D&H shortly thereafter. In the year 2000 former Mechanicville Mayor Thomas Higgins said the city had received a $41,000 grant from the governor's office to restore the XO tower, and last year, in April of 2010, Mayor Anthony Sylvester had read a resolution at a meeting of the Mechaniville City Council which stated that the City would lease the XO tower to the Heritage Society and the Mechanicville Chamber of Commerce for 5 years. Mechanicville Supervisor, Tom Richardson, said that the City of Mechanicville owned the building and hoped in a few months [2011] to have the second floor open to the public with a display of what the Mechaniville rail yard looked like back in its glory days.
    — Submitted March 12,
Historic Yards Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, June 9, 2007
2. Historic Yards Marker
2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.

 
Additional keywords. D&H, Delaware and Hudson, Delaware & Hudson XO Tower X0 Tower
 
Historic Yards Marker and XO Tower image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 20, 2011
3. Historic Yards Marker and XO Tower
XO Tower at the Head of the Historic Yards in Mechanicville image. Click for full size.
Collection of Gordon Smith, circa 1920s
4. XO Tower at the Head of the Historic Yards in Mechanicville
XO Tower - West Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 20, 2011
5. XO Tower - West Side
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 998 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 12, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   5. submitted on March 14, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40828

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024