Windsor Locks in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Incorporated May 30, 1854, the town was formerly Pine Meadow district of Windsor. A Dutch trader, Captain Adriaen Block, came up the Connecticut River in the spring of 1614 as far as Enfield Rapids.
The first three settlers were: Henry Denslow 1663, Nathaniel Gaylord-1678, and Abraham Dibble - 1708.
Seth Dexter founded the Dexter Company in 1767. The first one-horse-drawn wagon in this area was made by David Birge in 1815.
The Windsor Locks Canal was completed in 1829. Charles Dexter was appointed first postmaster in 1833.
The first town officials included Lucius Chapman, Talcott Mather, and Oliver Hayden-Selectmen, and Charles Spencer - Town Clerk. The first town meeting was held July 3, 1854.
(Continued from other side)
Rail transportation was inaugurated in 1844. Trolley service began in 1904. Public buses first operated June 24, 1924. Bradley Field was opened as a military airbase in 1941. Commercial airlines using the
Ella T. Grasso of Windsor Locks was elected first woman governor of Connecticut in November, 1974.
Old Country Road is described in George Washington's diary under date of October, 1789: “Between Windsor and Suffield you pass through level, barren and uncultivated plain for miles.” This refers to Windsor Locks.
Erected May 30, 1976
by the Windor Locks American Revolution
the Windsor Locks Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1976 by Windor Locks American Revolution Bicentennial Commission, the Windsor Locks Historical Society, and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 55.904′ N, 72° 37.672′ W. Marker is in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 159) and Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Marker is across the street from the historic Windsor Locks train station. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Windsor Locks CT 06096, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this markerWindsor Locks Vietnam War Monument (approx. half a mile away); Windsor Locks World War I and II Monument (approx. half a mile away); Windsor Locks Korean Conflict Monument (approx. half a mile away); Soldiers Memorial Hall (approx. half a mile away); East Windsor Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Connecticut Fallen Firefighters’ Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away); East Windsor (approx. 3.3 miles away); Site of Constitutional Oak (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Windsor Locks.
Also see . . .
1. Windsor Locks, Connecticut. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on September 25, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. Windsor Locks Historical Society. Organization homepage. (Submitted on March 13, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,514 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 13, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.