Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
— Claude & Starck —
Erected 1975 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 29.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list.
Location. 43° 4.977′ N, 89° 22.842′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gorham Street and North Blount Street, on the right when traveling west on East Gorham Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 704 East Gorham Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln School (within shouting distance of this marker); Anna and Cornelius Collins ResidenceIrene and Robert Connor Residence (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bernard - Hoover Boat House (about 500 feet away); Leitch House (about 500 feet away); City Horse Barn (about 700 feet away); Adolf H. Kayser House (about 700 feet away); Here was Madison’s first African-American neighborhood (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Collins House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The Collins House was designed by Claude and Starck, Madison's most well known and prolific practitioners of the style, and this house is one of the finest examples of their work. It features the hallmarks of the Prairie style, including a strong horizontality created by bands of windows, a beltcourse under the second story windows, wide, overhanging eaves, extra long, narrow bricks, and simple, non-historic details. The house was built for William and Dora Collins. William Collins was his brother's partner in the Collins Brothers, a manufacturer and wholesaler of wood products. His brother, Cornelius, lived in a house
The Anna and Cornelius Collins House at 646 East Gorham Street was built in 1908 and designated as a landmark (no. 100) on February 1, 1993: "Built for Anna and Cornelius Collins, spouses and partners in the Collins Brothers Lumber Company, this house embodies the eclecticism popular in the early decades of the twentieth century. Prolific Madison architects Louis Claude and Edward Starck brought together features of the Prairie style, Tudor Revival, and American Craftsman. It is also representative of the type of house chosen by and designed for Madison's business elite just after the turn of the twentieth century."
The Irene and Robert Connor House at 640 East Gorham Street was built in 1920 and designated as a landmark (no. 101) on February 1, 1993: "This Colonial Revival house features an interesting floor plan: the stairs to the second floor are immediately in front of the main entrance, similar to many of the old Colonial houses on Cape Cod. The house was built for Irene Connor, daughter of Anna and Cornelius Collins who lived next door at 646 E. Gorham,
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers for buildings designed by Claude & Starck.
Additional keywords. Architecture
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,479 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 17, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 5, 6. submitted on March 18, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.