Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Meadville in Crawford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Meadville

 
 
Meadville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, March 20, 2011
1. Meadville Marker
Inscription.  Founded in 1788 by David Mead and other settlers from the Wyoming region. In 1800 made county seat. First direct primary in United States held here in 1842. Making of hookless fasteners was pioneered here.
 
Erected 1946 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1788.
 
Location. 41° 37.631′ N, 80° 9.253′ W. Marker is in Meadville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is on South Main Street (U.S. 322) 0.2 miles south of Linden Street (U.S. 322), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Meadville PA 16335, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Desegregation of Pennsylvania Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); Richard Henderson (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Snodgrass Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mill Run
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¾ mile away); Unitarian Church (approx. ¾ mile away); The Masonic Building (approx. ¾ mile away); The Federal Building (approx. ¾ mile away); Crawford County's Tribute to Her Loyal Sons (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Meadville.
 
More about this marker. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission has listed this marker as missing.
 
Also see . . .  City of Meadville. (Submitted on March 21, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Meadville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, March 20, 2011
2. Meadville Marker
Looking north on South Main Street.
Postcard of the American Viscose Corporation rayon plant in Meadville image. Click for full size.
Photographed By N/a, 1930
3. Postcard of the American Viscose Corporation rayon plant in Meadville
In 1930, American Viscose Corporation opened a new rayon plant in Meadville, PA, about twenty miles south of Erie. Meadville was also the home of Talon Inc., the nation's leading manufacturer of zippers, which in 1940 furnished 5,219 of the city's 9,000 industrial jobs. While the American Viscose Company considered closure of Philadelphia's Marcus Hook plant during the Great Depression, the Meadville plant seemed to lead a charmed life. In fact, Meadville's economy weathered the Depression so well that Time Magazine and New York newspapers were prompted to describe it as "a depression-proof city" whose "streets were paved with gold." Courtesy of Barbara J. Mogush
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 689 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 21, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on July 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41028

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024