“Who loves a garden, still his ‘Eden’ keeps.”
Amos Bronson Alcott
The estate was bought in 1963 by Lois Genevieve Maxon, who planned the gardens which enhance the lovely natural setting and restored the mansion in antebellum style. Built in 1895 by lumberman William Henry Wesley, the house had elaborate Victorian trimming. The restoration fulfills a local legend which claims that the original design was inspired by an antebellum plantation house where the builder was given shelter on his way home from the War Between the States.
Wesley’s lumber partner and father-in-law, Simeon Strickland, had an identical house nearby, of which a portion still stands. Traces of their mill, where lumber for the two houses was cut, may still be seen on the “Eden” grounds.
Given to the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials
December 1968 by Lois Genevieve Maxon in loving memory of her parents: Harry Russell Maxon 1883-1960
Lois Adelheide Gustava Margarethe von Purucker Maxon 1885-1960
Erected 1969 by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 30° 22.272′ N, 86° 7.063′ W. Marker is in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in Walton County. The marker is located inside Eden Garden State Park off County Highway 395. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Rosa Beach FL 32459, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gulf Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Freeport Masonic Hall (approx. 8˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 723 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 25, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.