Bachelor Girl's Library Club
In 1904 the club changed its name to "The Maids and Matrons Library Club" and rescinded its rule prohibiting married members in order that several of its original founders who had since married could continue in the organization. The name of the club was changed once more in 1916 to the "Library Study Club." In 1936 the members formed a club for younger women called "The Thalian Study Club."
The size of the library's holdings continued to grow so that by 1966 the club had for some years required the services of a paid librarian. That year the club donated all of its books and furnishings to the City of Rusk. In 1969 they became part of the permanent collection at the newly constructed Singletary Memorial Library building. The Library Study Club and its offspring the Thalian Club continued
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6611.)
Location. 31° 47.759′ N, 95° 8.92′ W. Marker is in Rusk, Texas, in Cherokee County. Marker is on East Sixth Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 207 E Sixth Street, Rusk TX 75785, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The James I. Perkins Family Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherokee County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Cherokee County (about 400 feet away); Cherokee County C.S.A. (about 500 feet away); Rusk Footbridge (about 500 feet away); Norman Law Firm (about 600 feet away); Site of the Union Hotel/Bracken House/Acme Hotel (about 600 feet away); Site of Sam Houston Speeches (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rusk.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work •
More. Search the internet for Bachelor Girl's Library Club.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 536 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.