Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marine City in St. Clair County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Holy Cross Parish

 
 
Holy Cross Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, March 26, 2011
1. Holy Cross Parish Marker
Inscription.  Father Gabriel Richard received this triangular plot of land by way of a grant from President John Quincy Adams on April 1, 1825. This area, known as Catholic Point, contains, among other buildings a church, a rectory, a convent, the former high school, a new high school, and a grade school. The present church edifice, the second to stand on the site, was built in 1903. A bell, which formerly hung in the original Church, was cast in Normandy, France, in 1825. The tracker organ in the Church was built in 1861 and is one of the earliest American-built models in Michigan. Among former pastors of Holy Cross Parish, in addition to Father Gabriel Richard, were the saintly missionary Bishop Frederic Baraga, and a pioneer priest of St. Clair, Father Lawrence Kilroy. Holy Cross Parish has remained in continuous use and service to the people for over 150 years.
 
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0546.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #06 John Quincy Adams, and the Michigan Historical Commission series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1686.
 
Location. 42° 42.79′ N, 82° 29.658′ W. Marker is in Marine City, Michigan, in St. Clair County. Marker is on South Water Street south of Bridge Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 South Water Street, Marine City MI 48039, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Titanic Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Freighter Propeller (about 400 feet away); The Marine City 1866 - 1880 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Mary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anchor Bay Anchor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emily Ward Academy Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Walking Plow (approx. 0.2 miles away); United Methodist Church Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marine City.
 
Also see . . .
1. Our Lady on the River Parish. (Submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Holy Cross Church. (Submitted on September 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Holy Cross Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, March 26, 2011
2. Holy Cross Parish Marker
Holy Cross Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, March 26, 2011
3. Holy Cross Parish Marker
Holy Cross Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, September 23, 2018
4. Holy Cross Parish Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 701 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   4. submitted on September 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41196

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024