Port Hope in Huron County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Port Hope Chimney
This chimney was built in 1858 by John Geltz. It is all that remains of the lumber mill established that year by William R. Stafford. Port Hope grew up around the mill. For a score of years this town was a center of lumbering in the Thumb. It also became an important producer of salt. In 1871 and again in 1881 the mill, the docks, and possessions of hundreds of people were destroyed by fire. This chimney is a monument to those pioneers who by their courage and industry developed this area.
Erected 1964 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number L0021.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 43° 56.628′ N, 82° 42.542′ W. Marker is in Port Hope, Michigan, in Huron County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of State Street and Huron Street. Located in Stafford County Park at the end of State Street. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse (approx. 6.9 miles away); Frank Murphy (approx. 7˝ miles away); Huron City (approx. 8˝ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Port Hope History. Port Hope Website entry (Submitted on March 28, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
2. Port Hope Chimney. MichMarkers entry (Submitted on August 1, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
3. Stafford County Park Map. Huron County Parks entry (Submitted on February 23, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 703 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.