Canfield in Mahoning County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Canfield Christian Church
The Canfield Christian Church began as a Baptist congregation in 1822 and church met for worship in William Dean's home. The Mahoning Baptist Association Meeting of 1826 was held in David Hayes barn. In 1827, Walter Scott was asked by the Association to be the first paid traveling evangelist in the Mahoning Valley area of Ohio. Scott accepted the offer and moved his family to a house next to the Canfield Church. By June of 1829, the Canfield Church voted to lay aside the Baptist name for the name Disciples of Christ. They believed all creeds were unnecessary and took the Bible alone as their sole rule of faith and practice. In 1847, a new church was built. Charter members of the church include James and Sarah Caldwell, Ann Winfield, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Caldwell and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Flick, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Clark, Mr. and Mrs. John Flick, and Mr. and Mrs. Simmon Sackett and daughter.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Numerous alterations have been made to the Canfield Christian Church over the years. In 1870, the sanctuary was redesigned, and
Erected 2007 by Canfield Historical Society, Robert H. and Maxine D. Neff and Family, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 22-50.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1829.
Location. 41° 1.33′ N, 80° 45.609′ W. Marker is in Canfield, Ohio, in Mahoning County. Marker is at the intersection of South Broad Street (Ohio Route 46) and Maple Street, on the rightTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 South Broad Street, Canfield OH 44406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Mahoning County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Canfield WPA Memorial Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canfield Congregational Church / Canfield United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); The Mahoning Dispatch Building (about 700 feet away); Canfield Green (about 700 feet away); Canfield Township Hall (about 700 feet away); Canfield War Vet Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canfield.
1. Church bell
The marker mentions that a memorial bell tower was added in 1983; the photo of the building shows that this structure contains a former steam locomotive bell.
— Submitted September 6, 2020, by Carl Scott Zimmerman of Kirkwood, Missouri.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 636 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.