Near Libertyville in Lake County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Adlai Ewing Stevenson II
Adlai Ewing Stevenson Governor of Illinois from 1949 to 1953, twice the Democratic Party nominee for president, and United States Ambassador to the United Nations built this residence in 1938. Known as "The Farm," the house, outbuildings, and surrounding meadows and woods comprise seventy acres. Throughout his career of public service, Stevenson often returned to the farm for rest and inspiration. The property is now owned by the Lake County Forest Preserve District.
Erected 1984 by The Illinois State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1949.
Location. 42° 13.77′ N, 87° 55.533′ W. Marker is near Libertyville, Illinois, in Lake County. Marker is on North Saint Mary's Road (County Route 19) half a mile north of West Everett Road (County Route 40), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25200 N Saint Marys Road, Libertyville IL 60048, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers The Rondout Train Robbery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cook Memorial Library (approx. 4.3 miles away); Creamery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Ritzenthaler Farmhouse (approx. 5.1 miles away); Sauer Family Residence (approx. 5.1 miles away); Sauer General Store (approx. 5.1 miles away); Pre-Civil War Residence (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fred Sauer Residence (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Adlai E. Stevenson Historic Home. Lake County Forest Preserves website entry (Submitted on March 28, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.)
2. Adlai Stevenson II. Wikipedia biography (Submitted on July 6, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 936 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 28, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.