Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blacksburg in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

William Black

 
 
William Black Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, April 3, 2011
1. William Black Marker
Inscription.  Just northeast stood the home of William Black, the founder of Blacksburg. In 1797, he laid out a 16-block grid and petitioned the Virginia General Assembly to incorporate a town here; the legislature approved his petition on 13 January 1798. On 4 August 1798, he deeded the 38¾-acre site to the town's trustees, who included his brother and himself. Black served as a justice of the peace before moving to Ohio. He died there in 1850 at the age of 84 and he was buried in Pike Township, Clark County.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number KG-24.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 13, 1798.
 
Location. 37° 13.807′ N, 80° 24.883′ W. Marker is in Blacksburg, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Business U.S. 460) and Jackson Street NE (Virginia Route 785), on the right when traveling north
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North Main Street, Blacksburg VA 24060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cellar Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Armory (about 400 feet away); The Early Years / Campus Over Time (about 600 feet away); William Frank Henderson (about 700 feet away); Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (about 700 feet away); People and Place / Land Grant College (about 700 feet away); John Houston Squires (approx. 0.2 miles away); Five Chimneys (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blacksburg.
 
Also see . . .  History of Blacksburg. Town of Blacksburg, Virginia. (Submitted on April 4, 2011.) 
 
N Main St (facing north) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, April 3, 2011
2. N Main St (facing north)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,701 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41436

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024