Blacksburg in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Harvey Lee Price
Faculty member 1900-1945
Head, Horticulture Department 1902-1908
Dean, School of Agriculture 1908-1945
An easy-going, amiable man, Harvey Lee Price served VPI for more than four decades after earning two degrees here. He moved quickly through the professorial ranks and into administration. Known for zealously protecting VPI’s apple orchard, he also had a penchant for local history and genealogy. He oversaw campus landscaping, was Treasurer of the Athletic Council, and achieved fellow status in the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Price Hall completed in 1907
Marker donated by Class of 1953
Erected by VPI Class of 1953.
Location. 37° 13.559′ N, 80° 25.43′ W. Marker is in Blacksburg, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Drillfield Drive 0.1 miles east of West Campus Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blacksburg VA 24060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Oldham Sandy (a few steps from this marker); Thomas Barksdale Hutcheson John Redd Hutcheson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert James Davidson (about 400 feet away); Solitude (about 500 feet away); John Edward Williams (about 600 feet away); The Alwood Oak (about 700 feet away); Frank Leigh Robeson (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blacksburg.
Also see . . . Price Hall. Virginia Tech (Submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Education • Horticulture & Forestry •
More. Search the internet for Harvey Lee Price.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 506 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.