Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marshall in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Marshall Academy and High School

 
 
Marshall Academy and High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William J. Toman, April 10, 2011
1. Marshall Academy and High School Marker
Inscription.  From 1867 to 1939 a three-story, yellow brick building on this site provided education for area residents. Organized as Marshall Academy by local subscription, it once enrolled 100 students and offered a classical and preparatory curriculum including Greek, astronomy, algebra and bookkeeping. Between 1869 and 1881 the school operated as both Augsburg Seminary (Lutheran) and Marshall Academy. From 1885 to 1939 the building served as Marshall High School, which in 1910 instituted Wisconsin's first four-year agriculture program. The familiar landmark was razed in 1959.
 
Erected 1987 by the Dane County Historical Society and the Marshall High School Alumni Association. (Marker Number 23.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
 
Location. 43° 10.046′ N, 89° 4.026′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of South Pardee Street and
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Farnham Street, on the right when traveling south on South Pardee Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 South Pardee Street, Marshall WI 53559, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goose Lake (approx. 5.8 miles away); Georgia O'Keeffe (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Island Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); First Rural Free Delivery in Wisconsin (approx. 8.8 miles away); The Wisconsin Granger Movement (approx. 9.1 miles away); Maureen Mengelt Memorial (approx. 9.4 miles away); Drumlins (approx. 11.2 miles away); Lake Ripley (approx. 11.8 miles away).
 
Marshall Academy and High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William J. Toman, April 10, 2011
2. Marshall Academy and High School Marker
The marker is to the right of the front entrance to the Marshall City Hall.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 630 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41615

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024