Near Fortson in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mountain Hill District Consolidated School
This handsome Colonial Revival structure, completed in 1930, served the educational needs of children in the western half of Harris County from 1930 through 1989. The building, which consolidated several one- and two-room schools, was designed by the Atlanta architectural firm Lockwood and Poundstone. Incorporating state-of-the-art features including central heat, indoor plumbing and electricity, the school building provided students with amenities unknown in most of their homes. Funding for construction of the school came primarily from the local community through a bond issue in the amount of $60,000.
(Continued on other side)
The school had 9 classrooms and a 436-seat auditorium to serve both elementary and high school students. In this auditorium Chet Atkins, member of Country Music Hall of Fame and a student at Mountain Hill School during the 1930’s perfected his distinctive guitar style. The Mountain Hill Schoolhouse Foundation. Inc., formed to save the school building from demolition, has been instrumental in restoring the building as a community center. The building is owned by Harris County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
Location. 32° 41.779′ N, 85° 1.538′ W. Marker is near Fortson, Georgia, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Mountain Hill Road and Georgia Route 219, on the right when traveling north on Mountain Hill Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47 Mountain Hill Road, Fortson GA 31808, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bartlett's Ferry Dam; Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Camp McKenzie (approx. 6 miles away); Fortson General Store (approx. 8.1 miles away); Fortson House/The Fortson Community (approx. 8.1 miles away); Whitesville (approx. 8.4 miles away); Whitesville Methodist Episcopal Church, South (approx. 8.6 miles away); Sunnyside School, Midway Baptist Church and Midway Cemetery Historic District (approx. 8.8 miles away); Kingsboro & Cataula (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fortson.
Regarding Mountain Hill District Consolidated School. The marker stands at the entrance to the New Mountain Hill School and the Williams Memorial Library (the original school building).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 30, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,001 times since then and 174 times this year. Last updated on April 19, 2011, by Karen Davis Hopkins of Cataula, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 30, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.