Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Irwinton in Wilkinson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Wilkinson County

 
 
Wilkinson County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
1. Wilkinson County Marker
Inscription.  This County was created by Acts of the Legislature May 11, 1803 and Dec. 7, 1805. It is named for James Wilkinson, Revolutionary General, and formed from part of the lands acquired from the Creeks by the Treaty of Fort Wilkinson (on the Oconee) at which the General was a U.S. Commissioner. Irwinton, named for Gov. Jared Irwin, is located on the site of an English trading post that existed prior to 1715. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Edmund Hogan; Clerk of Superior Court Archibald McIntire; Clerk of Inferior Court William Brown; Ordinary Drury Gilbert; Tax Receiver Arthur Burney; Tax Collector William O’Neal; Coroner Charles Ray and Surveyor Britton McCullers.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 158-7.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 32° 48.65′ N, 83° 10.417′ W. Marker is in Irwinton, Georgia, in Wilkinson County. Marker is at the intersection of Kenneth W. Birdsong Highway (Georgia Route
Wilkinson County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
2. Wilkinson County Marker
57) and Bacon Street (Old U.S. 441), on the right when traveling east on Kenneth W. Birdsong Highway. The marker stands on the grounds of the Wilkinson County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Irwinton GA 31042, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George Henry Carswell (within shouting distance of this marker); The March to the Sea (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); McIntyre (approx. 2.4 miles away); Major John Hatcher (approx. 5½ miles away); Robert Toombs (approx. 5.6 miles away); Toomsboro (was approx. 5.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Ramah Church (approx. 10.3 miles away); In Memory of J. Rufus Kelly (approx. 10½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Irwinton.
 
More about this marker. The marker should be numbered 158-2 according to state records.
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
Wilkinson County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
3. Wilkinson County Marker
The marker at the intersection of Main Street (Georgia Highway 57) to the left, and Bacon Street to the right. The public well dates to before 1800.
Wilkinson County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
4. Wilkinson County Marker
The Wilkinson County Courthouse is in the background.
James Wilkinson image. Click for full size.
Internet Archive
5. James Wilkinson
from The Biographical Dictionary of America, 1906 by Rossiter Johnson.
Wilkinson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2011
6. Wilkinson County Courthouse
This courthouse, the fifth in Wilkinson County's history, was built in 1924.
 

More. Search the internet for Wilkinson County.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 556 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5. submitted on July 16, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   6. submitted on April 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement