Charles H. Chipman Cultural Center
The building was later expanded, incorporated in 1876, and named the John Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church. It was later combined with another church and formed the present Wesley Temple United Methodist Church. The property was abandoned as a church and purchased by educators Charles and Jeanette Chipman. They later deeded the property to the Newtown Association.
Erected by Funding provided by the Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore, Delmarva
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities 🎓 series list.
Location. 38° 22.083′ N, 75° 35.75′ W. Marker is in Salisbury, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Ellen Street on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salisbury MD 21801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wicomico Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Poplar Hill Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away); Newtown Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); F. Leonard Wailes Law Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); The General Humphreys Cannon (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wye Oak Seedling (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Byrd Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Newtown Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salisbury.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 614 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.