Rexburg in Madison County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Rexburg Milling Company
Approximately 148 yards south of this marker, a second mill was completed in November 1889 east of the town. The mill was four stories high, 45 feet by 65 feet, and build of native white limestone. When flour sacks developed holes too large to be patched, they were given away, bleached, washed, and soon made into pantaloons and petticoats. At times china dishes were given away as premiums.
On the night of January 12, 1915, people watched helplessly as this second mill, the oldest landmark in the valley, burned to the ground. For thirty-two years the Rexburg Milling Company served the young community by providing lumber, lath, shingles, and flour.
Erected 1993 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 473.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 12, 1895.
Location. 43° 49.697′ N, 111° 46.163′ W. Marker is in Rexburg, Idaho, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of East 1st North and North Millhollow Road, on the right when traveling west on East 1st North. On the grounds of Madison High School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 520 East 1st North, Rexburg ID 83440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Tithing Barn Block (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rexburg's First School and Meetinghouse (approx. half a mile away); The Teton Dam Flood Marker (approx. ¾ mile away); In Honor of the Rexburg Stake Pioneers (approx. ¾ mile away); Rexburg Tabernacle Centennial (approx. ¾ mile away); Pioneer Park (approx. ¾ mile away); Hitching Post (approx. ¾ mile away); Ricks College (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rexburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2011, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. This page has been viewed 896 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2011, by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.