Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Camp Conrad

 
 
Camp Conrad Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
1. Camp Conrad Marker
Inscription.  Main entrance to site of Camp Conrad, where a brigade of 3,500 troops was stationed in the winter of 1898-99 (Spanish-American War). Camp site occupied space between Third and Sixth Avenues and 29th and 33rd Sts. Brigade was composed of 160th Indiana, Third Kentucky, and First West Virginia Regiments. The Indiana and Kentucky regiments went to Cuba and Puerto Rico in 1899. The West Virginia Regiment was mustered out at Camp Conrad.

Troops at Camp Conrad were reviewed on December 7, 1898, by Major General James H. Wilson, who commanded the Federal army that engaged in the Battle of Columbus, April 16th, 1865.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-16A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, Spanish-American. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 16, 1865.
 
Location. 32° 29.6′ N, 84° 59.383′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Avenue (Georgia
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Route 85) and 32nd Street, on the right when traveling north on Second Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alma Woodsey Thomas (approx. 0.7 miles away); Rose Hill / Mott-Fox-Huguley House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Secondary Industrial School (approx. ¾ mile away); Eugene J. Bullard, 1895-1961 / World’s First Black Combat Aviator (approx. 0.9 miles away); City Mills (approx. one mile away); Colored Department of the City Hospital / Doctors and Nurses (approx. 1.1 miles away); Establishment of Memorial Day (approx. 1.1 miles away); Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Camp Conrad Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
2. Camp Conrad Marker
Camp Conrad Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
3. Camp Conrad Marker
Looking east, toward the site of (the now vanished) Camp Conrad.
Camp Conrad Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
4. Camp Conrad Marker
Looking north on Second Avenue
Camp Conrad Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
5. Camp Conrad Marker
Looking south on Second Avenue, toward downtown Columbus
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,738 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42184

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024