Eaton in Preble County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Preble County Courthouse
The current Preble County Courthouse, the third courthouse erected on this site, was designed by noted architect and Preble County native Harvey Hiestand. Its cornerstone was laid on March 17, 1917, with a copper box containing a bible, historic papers, and other memorabilia placed under the stone. Upon completion, the building was dedicated on September 10, 1918, with three thousand people attending the ceremony. Designed in the Neo-Classical style, the exterior was constructed of Indiana Bedford limestone with ten immense columns that extend upward from the second floor. Above the colonnade, a dentiled entablature is inscribed, Salus Populi Suprema Lex, meaning “The health of the people is the supreme law.” The facade is enhanced with a bricked courtyard flanked by balustraded terraces.
At the time of its construction, the interior offices were fashioned with terrazzo floors, built-in countertops, and walnut-veneered doors. Much of the interior, including walls, banisters, and stairs, were made of granite and Pennsylvania marble, pink for the walls and gray for
Erected 2008 by Board of Preble County Commissioners and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 8-68.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Landmarks • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1855.
Location. 39° 44.64′ N, 84° 38.195′ W. Marker is in Eaton, Ohio, in Preble County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 35) and Barron Street (U.S. 127), on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 E Main Street, Eaton OH 45320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Bruce (a few steps from this marker); Preble County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this Van Ausdal-Donohoe House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roberts Bridge / Timber Covered Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Roberts Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Mound Hill Cemetery Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Monument at Mound Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Birthplace of Swine Improvement in America (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eaton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,011 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on May 7, 2011, by Kent Douglas Hiestand of Colorado Springs, Colorado. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 31, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.