Placerville in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1986 by Grand Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
Location. 38° 43.933′ N, 120° 48.509′ W. Marker is in Placerville, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Bee Street west of Coloma Road (California Highway 49), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 643 Bee Street, Placerville CA 95667, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph M. Staples (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Placerville (about 500 feet away); Site of Original Raley’s Grocery Store Site of Placerville Drive In Market (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sgt. J. Scott Lindsay (approx. 0.4 miles away); Three Unfortunates Hanged (approx. 0.4 miles away); Snowshoe Thompson (approx. 0.4 miles away); Placerville Pony Express (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Placerville.
Regarding Bee-Bennett House. The building was originally built by Colonel Frederick A. Bee, pioneer merchant and founder of the Bee Telegraph Company. In 1889, the home was bought by Judge Marcus P. Bennett who expanded the house into a 16-room mansion. In 1958 it was purchased by the Elks Club, Placerville BPOE Lodge 1712, to use as its hall. The Elks did some remodeling with most of the home's original beauty preserved. In 2001, the Elks sold the house and today it is the site of one of Placerville’s finest restaurants, the Sequoia Bee-Bennett House.
Also see . . . Marcus P. Bennett. An excerpt from History of the Sacramento Valley California published in 1931 by Pioneer Historical Publication Co., and transcribed by Rhonda Ruick O'Brien (Submitted on May 9, 2011.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,624 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 9, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.