Windsor in Essex County, Ontario — Central Canada
Original Home of Major F.A. Tilston V.C. Armoury
Replacing wooden barracks that earlier stood in what is now City Hall Square, this building was constructed in 1901 from plans drawn up by David Ewart, architect for the federal Department of Public Works. it is typical of a large number of armouries built during this era for Canada's militia. In 1901, the militia unit that occupied this building was the 21st Regiment Essex Fusiliers, who became the Essex Scottish and eventually the Essex and Kent Scottish. The Essex Regiment (Tank), later known as the Windsor Regiment, was formed in 1936 from officers and men of the Essex Scottish. 21 Service Battalion moved into this facility in 1997.
The armoury's main entrance at first faced a parade ground fronting on Ouellette Avenue, which was later filled by commercial development, causing the armoury's original University Avenue exit to thereafter serve as the main entrance. An
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Victoria Cross Recipients series list.
Location. 42° 19.064′ N, 83° 2.287′ W. Marker is in Windsor, Ontario, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of University Avenue East and Freedom Way, on the right when traveling east on University Avenue East. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37 University Avenue East, Windsor, Ontario N9A 1E4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Underground Railroad in Canada (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); The Great Western Railway (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Rt. Hon. Herb Gray, PC., C.C., Q.C. (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Francois Baby House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); French Settlement on the South Shore (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Battle of Windsor - 1838 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Detroit River (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Gateway to Freedom (approx. 1.1 kilometers away in the U.S.). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Windsor.
Also see . . . Frederick Albert Tilston(Submitted on May 11, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 653 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.