Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Central United Methodist Church

 
 
Central United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2011
1. Central United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Lewis Cass, governor of the Territory of Michigan, approved a constitution for the First Methodist Episcopal Society May 17, 1822. This church, a direct successor, was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd. It was completed in 1867 by the combined efforts of the First Methodist Episcopal Church and the Congress Street Society. When Woodward Avenue was widened in 1936, a thirty-foot section was removed from the nave, and the front and tower were subsequently relocated. The sanctuary was then rededicated. The stained-glass windows were installed in 1955. Maintaining the tradition of an open door and free pulpit, Central United Methodist Church has been called "the conscience of a city."
 
Erected 1979 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0535.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 17, 1822.
 
Location. 42° 20.232′ N, 83° 3.039′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in
Closeup of marker, now located behind a fence. image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
2. Closeup of marker, now located behind a fence.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of East Adams Avenue and Woodward Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Adams Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 E Adams Ave, Detroit MI 48226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edwin Denby Enlistment (within shouting distance of this marker); David Whitney Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Theater District (about 600 feet away); Women's City Club of Detroit (about 700 feet away); St. John's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vernor's Ginger Ale (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Ford Automobile (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tyrus Raymond Cobb 1886-1961 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Also see . . .  Central Methodist Church - History (pdf file). (Submitted on May 12, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Central United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2011
3. Central United Methodist Church
Central United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
4. Central United Methodist Church Marker
View of church from the northwest
Central United Methodist Church Entance (Stone and woodwork). image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
5. Central United Methodist Church Entance (Stone and woodwork).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 11, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   2. submitted on May 20, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.   3. submitted on May 11, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   4, 5. submitted on May 20, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42313

Paid Advertisement
Aug. 1, 2021