Vandalia in Fayette County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
House of Divine Worship
Erected in 1823
The Illinois General Assembly donated five lots in Vandalia to promote the construction of a church for the use of all denominations. The forty-five by sixty feet one-story frame structure erected in the summer of 1823 was used primarily by the Presbyterians and Methodists and also for public meetings and as a schoolhouse.
Erected by Illinois State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1823.
Location. 38° 57.713′ N, 89° 5.606′ W. Marker is in Vandalia, Illinois, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Kennedy Boulevard (U.S. 51), on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Marker is at the Fayette County Museum (former 1860s Presbyterian Church building). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 West Main Street, Vandalia IL 62471, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert K. McLaughlin Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Ernst Hotel Internal Improvements (within shouting distance of this marker); Third State Capitol (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln As A Polished Politician (about 300 feet away); Ebenezer Capps' Store (about 300 feet away); Lincoln and the "Long Nine" (about 300 feet away); First Protest Against Slavery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vandalia.
Also see . . . Vandalia, Illinois - for visitors. City Website entry (Submitted on May 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 567 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.