Near Mina in Mineral County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Candelaria and Metallic City
Candelaria was presumably named after a mine of that name located in 1885, and also after the Catholic Candelmas Day. Metallic City, the "sin city" of Candelaria, and also known as Pickhandle Gulch, lies ¾ mile to the south of Candelaria. The name, Pickhandle was derived from the most popular weapon used for settling disputes.
In 1880, Candelaria was the largest town in the immediate area and boasted of having 3 doctors, 3 lawyers, 2 hotels, 6 stores and 10 saloons. Water piped from Trail Canyon in 1882 caused the price of water to drop from $1.00 to $0.05 per gallon.
The leading mine, the Northern Belle, was located in 1864 (relocated in 1870). It is reported to have produced an estimated $7 million, mainly in silver.
Erected by Nevada State Park System and Mineral County Antique Bottle Club. (Marker Number 92.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mina NV 89422, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Columbus (approx. 5 miles away); Rhodes Marsh (approx. 6.8 miles away); Belleville (approx. 9.8 miles away).
Also see . . . New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of each individual marker on its website and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to the marker for grammar and readability. In regards to content, the marker was amended to remove the references to Metallic City as the "sin city" and being known as Pickhandle Gulch, to add that water was also piped from Pinchower Creek, and to state that the Northern Belle was not developed until 1870. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on November 12, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2011. This page has been viewed 807 times since then and 132 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 12, 2011, by Mh of Las Vegas, Nevada. 3. submitted on May 10, 2020, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on May 12, 2011, by Mh of Las Vegas, Nevada. 9. submitted on May 10, 2020, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.