Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chelmsford in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

District No. 1 School

 
 
District No. 1 School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger W. Sinnott, May 13, 2011
1. District No. 1 School Marker
Inscription.  Erected in 1802 on the site of Chelmsford’s first school house.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1802.
 
Location. 42° 35.875′ N, 71° 21.241′ W. Marker is in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Westford Street and Academy Street, on the right when traveling east on Westford Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chelmsford MA 01824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Revolutionary War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); First School for Lip-Reading (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oldest Toll House (about 300 feet away); Chelmsford (about 700 feet away); Chelmsford’s “Minuteman Boulder” (about 700 feet away); Soldiers and Sailors Monument (approx. 2.8 miles away); Chief of the Penacooks (approx. 2.9 miles away); a different marker also named Chelmsford (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chelmsford.
 
Regarding District No. 1 School. Chelmsford’s
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
first schoolhouse was built here in 1718, but it burned and was replaced by the present brick building in 1802. The bricks had been obtained locally, from a section of East Chelmsford through which Brick Kiln Road now passes. It served as a public school for 50 years until other, larger schools were built. Thereafter the building was used briefly for Bible classes, then as a garage for the town hearse, and as a place to store tools for maintaining the adjacent Forefather’s Cemetery. More recently it has housed artifacts for the Historical Commission and served as an information booth for town events.
 
Also see . . .  Chelmsford Historical Commission. Pictures and details on schools in the town, including this 1802 school and its predecessor. (Submitted on May 13, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.) 
 
View from the Street Intersection image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger W. Sinnott, May 13, 2011
2. View from the Street Intersection
The marker is on the brick building itself. The lectern-style marker in the front yard has nothing to do with this schoolhouse; it describes the layout of Forefathers’ Cemetery, at left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 642 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42361

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024