Vandalia in Fayette County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of Ernst Hotel
Here stood a two-story log building erected in 1819 for Ferdinand Ernst who brought the German colony to Vandalia. Named Union Hall, it was operated as a hotel. After Ernst's death in 1823 it was managed by E.M. Townsend, and from April 1825 by Frederick Hollman.
Erected 1954 by Illinois State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1825.
Location. 38° 57.694′ N, 89° 5.59′ W. Marker is in Vandalia, Illinois, in Fayette County. Marker is on 3rd Street (U.S. 40/51) near Main Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is mounted in the sidewalk, on the southside of the railroad cut. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 South 3rd Street (Kennedy Boulevard), Vandalia IL 62471, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Internal Improvements (within shouting distance of this marker); House of Divine Worship (within shouting Robert K. McLaughlin Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln As A Polished Politician (within shouting distance of this marker); Third State Capitol (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Blackwell's White House (about 400 feet away); Lincoln and the "Long Nine" (about 400 feet away); Ebenezer Capps' Store (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vandalia.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. History of Vandalia, Illinois. City webpage (Submitted on May 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Ferdinand Ernst and the German Colony. (Submitted on May 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 551 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.