Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Alexandria in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Saint Mark's Episcopal Church

 
 
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By CM Brown, January 13, 2011
1. Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  Saint Mark's Episcopal Church is one of several congregations that evolved from the efforts of nineteenth century students from the Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria. The first congregation met at the original Groveton Schoolhouse on Popkins Lane and Richmond Highway in 1880, providing the farming community its first place of worship between Alexandria and Woodlawn Plantation. In 1903 the Groveton Mission built a church on the west side of Richmond Highway on land donated by Franklin Pierce Reid, adopting the name Christ Protestant Episcopal Church of Groveton. When the congregation moved to this location in 1958 on land given by Carl and Beulah Tavenner, the present name was adopted.
 
Erected 2010 by The Fairfax County History Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Fairfax County History Commission series list.
 
Location. 38° 46.309′ N, 77° 6.08′ W. Marker is near Alexandria
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By CM Brown, April 10, 2011
2. Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker
The Rt. Rev. John Weatherly addressing the history of St. Mark's for the historical marker dedication. The Rt. Rev. Shannon S. Johnston is in the foreground.
, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on 6744 South Kings Highway (Virginia Route 633) north of Telegraph Road (Virginia Route 611), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22306, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Missing Views, Lost Stories (approx. half a mile away); A View from the Beginning (approx. half a mile away); Explore Historic Huntley (approx. half a mile away); Huntley (approx. half a mile away); New Views, New Voices (approx. half a mile away); Unfolding Views, Hidden Stories (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Huntley (approx. 0.6 miles away); Beacon Field Airport (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Regarding Saint Mark's Episcopal Church. The Groveton church was originally located on land donated by the Reid family located off of Route 1 between Memorial Street (originally known as Oak St) and Groveton Street. This location was south of the Beacon Air Field owned by the Reid family.
 
Also see . . .
1. St. Mark's Episcopal Church website. (Submitted on May 14, 2011, by CM Brown of Groveton, Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA.)
2. Groveton Civic Association website. GCA is the oldest active civic association in Fairfax County. (Submitted on May 14, 2011, by CM Brown of Groveton, Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA.)
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By CM Brown, April 10, 2011
3. Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker
Lee District Supervisor Jeff McKay at the dedication ceremony for the Saint Mark's Episcopal Church historical marker.
 
 
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Historical Marker Dedication image. Click for full size.
By CM Brown, April 10, 2011
4. Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Historical Marker Dedication
On April 10, 2011, the historical marker was dedicated by The Rt. Rev. Shannon S. Johnston, Diocesan Bishop. The service was officiated by The Rt. Rev. John Weatherly. Among those in attendance was Lee District Supervisor Jeff McKay and his family, and the granddaughter of The Rev. Kensey Johns Hammond, one of the two young Seminary students responsible for the establishment and founding of the mission service at the original Groveton School House (still located on the corner of Richmond Highway and Popkins Lane).
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Historical Marker is Unveiled image. Click for full size.
By CM Brown, April 10, 2011
5. Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Historical Marker is Unveiled
Charlotte Brown and Rob Bluey (Senior Warden of St. Mark's Episcopal Church) unveiled the historic marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2011, by CM Brown of Groveton, Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA. This page has been viewed 1,289 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 14, 2011, by CM Brown of Groveton, Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 11, 2020