Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

C.C. and Mattie Hughes Cody House

 
 
C.C. and Mattie Hughes Cody House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
1. C.C. and Mattie Hughes Cody House Marker
Inscription.  

Georgia native Claude Carr Cody (1854–1923) worked at Southwestern University for 37 years, serving as a mathematics professor and university administrator. He was known as the “Grand Old Man of Southwestern.” He wed Martha “Mattie” Hughes in 1883, and her father, judge and legislator Thomas P. Hughes, gave them this lot, adjacent to one he had given to another daughter, Lonetta Booty. The Codys completed their home by 1897. The Free Classic Queen Anne house features Doric columns, an octagonal corner bay and a distinctive oval window.
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13444.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 30° 37.981′ N, 97° 40.484′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on East University Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 E University Ave, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. John’s United Methodist Church (within shouting distance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker); George Irvine House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); W.Y. Penn Home (about 400 feet away); J. A. McDougle Home (about 400 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Georgetown (about 400 feet away); Negro Fine Arts School (about 500 feet away); Original Site of Southwestern University (about 600 feet away); Harrell-Stone House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
C.C. and Mattie Hughes Cody House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, July 7, 2018
2. C.C. and Mattie Hughes Cody House Marker
Marker is attached to house to the right of the door.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 20, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,455 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on May 15, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on September 20, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on July 8, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42430

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024