Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
River Falls in Covington County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Montezuma

 
 
Montezuma Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, May 14, 2011
1. Montezuma Marker
Inscription.  On December 18, 1821, the Alabama General Assembly appointed Covington County commissioners William Carter Jr., James R. Mobley, Aaron Lockhart, Henry Jones, and Abel Polk “to fix and designate a suitable place for a seat of Justice, and to contract for, and superintend the erection of such public buildings” as necessary for the use of the county. Originally known as Covington Court House, the county seat was named Montezuma by 1824 and was located on the banks of the Conecuh River near this site. Due to repeated flooding, the seat of justice was moved to present day Andalusia in 1844 and Montezuma was eventually abandoned.
 
Erected 2005 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1920.
 
Location. 31° 20.636′ N, 86° 31.491′ W. Marker is in River Falls, Alabama, in Covington County. Marker is on River Falls Street (U.S. 84) 0.2 miles east
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Heath Road (County Route 70), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: River Falls AL 36476, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Horse Shoe Lumber Company / River Falls Power Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Courthouse Clock Bell (approx. 3˝ miles away); Bank of Andalusia National Historic Place (approx. 3˝ miles away); History of the Library / Andalusia Post Office becomes Public Library (approx. 3.6 miles away); First National Bank Building (approx. 3.6 miles away); Three Notch Road / Hank and Audrey Williams (approx. 3.6 miles away); Covington County Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 3.7 miles away); Covington County War Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,803 times since then and 130 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on May 18, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42549

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024