La Grange in Stanislaus County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Old La Grange Schoolhouse
Legend has it that Bret Harte taught school here on his journey to the Sierra Gold Fields. There were more than a dozen small schools built later in the county east of Waterford. The names of some were Lafayette, Hardscrabble, Tilden, Roberts Ferry, Horr, Hemitage, Live Oak, Rowe, Robinson, and Dry Creek. Most are just a memory.
Across from the school is the St. Louis Catholic Church, built in 1854 it was the first of any denomination in the county,
Erected 2009 by Estanislao Chapter 58, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1913.
Location. 37° 39.716′ N, 120° 27.713′ W. Marker is in La Grange, California, in Stanislaus County. Marker is on Flota Road west of Yosemite Boulevard (California Highway 132), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30101 Flota Road, La Grange CA 95329, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Louis Mission (within shouting distance of this marker); La Grange Saloon (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); LaFayette Historical Lodge #65 (about 800 feet away); The Trading Post (about 800 feet away); La Grange (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named La Grange (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Barn – First Adobe Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
Regarding The Old La Grange Schoolhouse.
Bret Harte used this community as the setting of his novel The Four Guardians of La Grange.
If there is truth to the legend that he taught school here it would not have been in this building as he had left the gold fields of California several years before this building was built.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,097 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 23, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 19, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.