“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Richardson and Robbins Complex

Richardson and Robbins Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Nate Davidson, November 7, 2005
1. Richardson and Robbins Complex Marker
Inscription.  The Richardson and Robbins complex began in 1881, twenty-six years after Alden B. Richardson and James W. Robbins started a small cannery at another location in Dover. On this new site Richardson and Robbins prospered as canners of high quality fruits, vegetables, meats and seafoods. Best known of these products were the "R and R" brand canned chickens and plum puddings. The success of the Richardson and Robbins Company is reflected in the succession of additions made to the original plant between 1882 and 1942, and in the surrounding community where examples of the prosperity and company spawned and the philanthropies it supported are still evident.

In 1959 the plant was sold to the William Underwood Company which used it until 1975 for the production of its "Red Devil" brand ham and other sandwich spreads. Underwood made the final addition to the complex in 1969.

The State of Delaware acquired the Richardson and Robbins complex in 1979 and immediately began an extensive rehabilitation project which was particularly careful to preserve the important architectural qualities of the buildings. The renovated complex was dedicated in

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
April, 1983 to serve as headquarters for the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control and the Delaware Development Office.

The Richardson and Robbins complex is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Victorian Dover Historic District.

Pierre S. duPont IV, Governor; John E. Wilson III, Secretary, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control; Nathan Hayward III, Director, Delaware Development Office

Moeckel Carbonell & Partners, Architects; Richard Y. Johnson & Son, Inc., Construction Manager
Erected 1983.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1983.
Location. 39° 9.619′ N, 75° 31.417′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on Kings Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodburn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woodburn: The Governor's House (about 500 feet away); Annie Jump Cannon (about 500 feet away); Sequoia - A California Redwood (about 500 feet away); Hall House (about 600 feet away); …and His Accomplishments (about 600 feet away);

Richardson and Robbins Complex image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Nate Davidson, November 7, 2005
2. Richardson and Robbins Complex
Crawford Carroll, the Man… (about 600 feet away); World War II Memorial (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,292 times since then and 114 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Sep. 24, 2023