Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Round Rock in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

William M. Owen House Complex

 
 
William M. Owen House Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
1. William M. Owen House Complex Marker
Inscription.  

The earliest structure in this complex is the one-story stone building, constructed about 1853. It originally housed a mercantile store and the first permanent post office for Round Rock, both operated by Thomas C. Oatts, the town’s first postmaster. Built on the pioneer road from Austin to Georgetown, it was part of Round Rock’s early development. The two-story home was built about 1870 and for many years was the residence of Dr. William M. Owen, a prominent local physician and businessman. Both buildings reflect the style of other area structures of the 19th century.
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9315.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. 30° 30.904′ N, 97° 41.388′ W. Marker is in Round Rock, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Chisholm Trail Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Chisholm Trail Rd, Round Rock TX 78681, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Round Rock (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Barker House (approx. ¼ mile away); Round Rock Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Slave Burial Ground in Old Round Rock Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Pioneer Builders (approx. half a mile away); Education in Round Rock (approx. half a mile away); Harrell Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sam Bass' Death Site (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Round Rock.
 
Also see . . .  William M. Owen House, Old Round Rock Post Office and St. Charles Hotel. Williamson County Historical Commission (Submitted on March 25, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.) 
 
William M. Owen House Complex image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, June 24, 2018
2. William M. Owen House Complex
William M. Owen House Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, June 24, 2018
3. William M. Owen House Complex Marker
Wide area view of marker.
Single-Story Stone Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
4. Single-Story Stone Building
Originally housed a mercantile store and the first permanent post office for Round Rock.
William M. Owen Home image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
5. William M. Owen Home
A portion of the marker is visible to the far right in this view.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,461 times since then and 105 times this year. Last updated on May 29, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on June 24, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   3. submitted on June 25, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   4, 5. submitted on November 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42789

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 24, 2024