Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Warm Springs in Meriwether County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Warm Springs Treatment Pools

 
 
Warm Springs Treatment Pools Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
1. Warm Springs Treatment Pools Marker
Inscription.  Georgia’s largest and most famous warm spring delivers 914 gallons of 88°F per minute to a catch basin beneath the buildings at the base of the hill in front of you. The springs have been used for recreation and healing for centuries. Franklin D. Roosevelt came here in 1924, in hopes to recover from the effects of polio. He came to believe in the therapeutic benefits of the springs and bought a declining Victorian resort that had grown around the springs. For the next 21 years, he invested much time and money in making Warm Springs a major polio treatment center. After the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation was founded the pools area was transformed into a hydrotherapeutic treatment center designed by architect Henry Toombs. A public pool was built between the treatment pools and Alternate US 27. These treatment pools were supplanted in 1942 by an indoor pool built on the main Foundation Campus due to the difficulty of moving patients to these pools. The treatment pools were then used occasionally for treatment and for recreation but were finally closed in the 1960’s. The Department of Natural Resources stabilized and renovated the springs and
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
pools complex for visitation during 1994 - 95 for the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of F. D. R.’s death.
 
Erected 1995 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 099-8.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
 
Location. 32° 53.562′ N, 84° 41.402′ W. Marker is in Warm Springs, Georgia, in Meriwether County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Golf Course Road and Roosevelt Highway (U.S. 27A), on the right when traveling west. The marker has been moved west from its original location and is now among some bushes along the north side of the historic Treatment Pools. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Warm Springs GA 31830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin D. Roosevelt (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Georgia Warm Springs Foundation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Depot Site Warm Springs (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Little White House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Franklin Delano Roosevelt (approx. 0.8 miles away); Roosevelt Farm (approx. 2.9
Warm Springs Treatment Pools Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, July 3, 2015
2. Warm Springs Treatment Pools Marker
The marker´s new position near the historic Treatment Pools.
miles away); Longleaf Pine Planting (approx. 3.1 miles away); Dowdell's Knob (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warm Springs.
 
Warm Springs Treatment Pools Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
3. Warm Springs Treatment Pools Marker
Looking across Golf Course Road at the building housing the indoor pools.
Warm Springs Treatment Pools Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
4. Warm Springs Treatment Pools Marker
Looking east on Golf Course Road at the intersection with Roosevelt Highway, US Highway 27A.
Warm Springs Treatment Pools image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
5. Warm Springs Treatment Pools
The building housing the treatment pools, designed by Henry Toombs, is now open to visitors.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 759 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 30, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on August 9, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.   3, 4, 5. submitted on May 30, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42883

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024