Hardeeville in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Narrow Gauge Locomotive No. 7
Erected 1961 by Town of Hardeeville. (Marker Number 27 9.)
Location. 32° 17.14′ N, 81° 4.759′ W. Marker is in Hardeeville, South Carolina, in Jasper County. Marker is at the intersection of Main St (State Highway 46) and Charles St, on the right when traveling east on Main St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hardeeville SC 29927, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Purrysburg Township (approx. 2.8 miles away); Historic Ship Anchor (approx. 7.3 miles away in Georgia); In Honor Of All Veterans (approx. 7½ miles away); Houston Baptist (approx. 7.6 miles away in Georgia); St. Luke's Church Goshen Church (approx. 8.1 miles away in Georgia); The Barrel Landing Schoolhouse (approx. 8.2 miles away); Using Fire to Benefit Wildlife (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hardeeville.
Also see . . . S.C. Logging Locomotives. other pictures (Submitted on December 18, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. The Argent Lumber Company
An even more powerful force arrived when large timber companies began buying up former agricultural lands. The Argent Lumber Company, based in Hardeeville, arose in the early 20th century. H.W. Philips of Suffolk, Virginia, secured logging rights to the timber on the Okeetee Club, and contracted with the Garysburg Manufacturing Company of Garysburg, North Carolina, to mill the lumber in 1916. The Argent Lumber Company had a planing mill, dry kiln, and storage shed along the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in Hardeeville. At the same time, Argent created a network of railroads throughout the county to bring the lumber from remote tracts. These railroad lines used narrow-gauge engines, and Argent's
Union Camp Corporation was an American pulp and paper company and a private owner of timberland in the United States. Union Camp Corporation originated with the merger of the Union Bag and Paper Company and the Camp Manufacturing Company. Each of these family owned companies had unique histories that led to the ultimate success of Union Camp until it was acquired by International paper. The Union Bag and Paper Company's history dates back to 1881 where it began as the Union Paper Bag Machine Company in Bethlehem Pennsylvania. The Camp Manufacturing Company was founded in 1887 by three Camp Brothers with the purchase of a small sawmill on the outskirts of their hometown of Franklin, Virginia. In 1999 Union-Camp was acquired by International Paper.
— Submitted December 18, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for Narrow Gauge Locomotive No. 7.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,342 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 18, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on July 7, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on December 18, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 7, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.